Monday, November 9, 2009

Magnificat by Arvo Part




The piece of music that is currently playing on my blog is a choral piece that the Concert Choir from my school sang in the fall of 2008. It has been my favorite piece that we sang while I was in the choir. The following is a translation.

Text of the Magnificat: (The New Jerusalem Bible and The Vulgate)

My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord
and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.
Magnificat anima mea Dominum
et exsultavit spiritus meus in Deo salutari meo.


Because he has looked upon the humiliation of his servant.
Yes, from now onwards all generations will call me blessed.
Qui respexit humilitatem ancillae suae,
ecce enim ex hoc beatam me dicent omnes generationes.


for the Almighty has done great things for me.
Holy is his name.
Quia fecit mihi magna qui potens est
et sanctum nomen eius


His faithful love extends age after age to those who fear him
et misericordia eius a progenie in progenies timentibus eum.

He has pulled down princes from their thrones
and raised high the lowly.
deposuit potentes de sede,
et exaltavit humiles.


He has filled the starving with good things
sent the rich away empty
esurientes implevit bonis
et divites dimisit inanens


He has come to the help of Israel his servant
mindful of his faithful love.
Suscepit Israel, puerum suum,
recordatus misericordiae suae.


According to the promise he made to our ancestors
of his mercy to Abraham and his descendants for ever.
sicut locutus est ad patres nostros
Abraham et semini eius in saecula.


My favorite musical part of the piece is at 4:30-4:50. Especially the chord at 4:50. How could we ever live with out Music?

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones