Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Options

Hey everybody, I bet your weather is warmer than mine. Current temperature in Sioux Center, Iowa is 0 degrees F as of 11am Jan. 30! But that is actually somewhere in the middle of what it usually is. Sunday Morning it was -25 walking the 2 blocks to church.
Anyway, my options are bisically choosing between go on off campus study to Australia next spring, or I could continue through the applicaiton process of becoming a resident assistent. Now there are perks to either of these choices. I have a better chance of getting accepted for off campus study because pretty much any one can go if they meet the requirements, which I think I do, but applying to be an RA there are 36 positions and about 100 people applying for them. If I don't do off campus study this next year then I could possibly do it my senior year, but same with being an RA. If I am accepted for the RA position I will recieve free room/ and board + $1300 in work sudy money. So finacially it is sweet. But if I do not do off campus study this year then I would have to do it in the fall of my senior year, and if i did it then it would lessen my chances of getting into the Concert Choir which is the best choir on campus. The director is pretty picky about being committed to the whole year. On top of the amazginess of being a part of that choir there is a Tour to Europe the summer after my senior year for those that are in concert choir that year. Also I don't know if I would be finacially afford going on off campus study as well as speding a couple G's on the tour to Europe.
So all this to say I am leaning toward going through the application process for being an RA and let God decide the outcome of being an RA or doing off campus study. Oh, yeah being an RA is a year long commitment and that's why I can't do both. But yeah I am hoping that I can do everything that I want to.
I should also mention in response to your questions about if I am staying here or coming home...well as of right now I am going to stay here at Dordt unless God pulls something drastic and changes my mind. I would really appreciate your prayers for guidence in general and for encouragement.
Thanks for reading, and feel free to leave your thoughts/ advice.
-Joel

1 comment:

STAN J. PILON said...

Dear Joel,

I LOVE your blog. I'm sure putting your thoughts down in print helps you a lot, but it sure makes me ... as your Dad ... feel much closer to what's going on in your heart. I am SO glad you can see God's working in your life, and that He will work His will into your decisions. I'm also very glad you're in a Christian learning environment. What a great place to be while working through the thoughts and decisions you face.

Mom and I love you very much. Keep doing what you're doing, and God will light the way.

Love,

Dad.


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones