Friday, May 9, 2008

Full

Today is the last full day that I am in Holland and it is already 4o6pm. This morning I rode my bike to school and turned in some books to be reimbursed for, and then I turned in my bike. So I then took a nice walk home because I did not have my bike anymore. Tomorrow my train leaves from Zwolle at 715am. I still need to finish packing. Ugh. I am still not sure everything is going to make it home. I have already decided to leave 2 of he pairs of shoes I brought along because one pair is old and look like it too, and the other pair I don't really ever wear at home nor did I while I was here.

This past wednesday night we went to the pancake ship for dinner with the whole group, which I previously wrote about. It was very good. We all received dinging bells to remind us of our bikes and also a package of stroopwaffels. (Delicious Dutch treat) this whole week I have been accumulating things and every time I get something else I have to reconsider, "will this fit in my suitcase". I am coming home with more than I brought that is for sure. It is now 413. I am not a fan of time. It is like a curse..."oh I'm late!, time is flying by, a time to live a time to die." Time is often our slave driver. But then we also choose to let it control us. This is something I have loved about Holland. Down time, reflection, coffee breaks, visiting with people, sitting in this living writing on my blog right now. When I am at Dordt or at home, I feel much more of an obligation to time. As if my schedule needs to be filled with productivity and progress for the majority of my days. Hmmm.

I have been frequently asked in the last couple weeks if I have enjoyed my time in Holland and Ukraine. I have mixed feelings about Ukraine.........but I love Holland. I wish I could take my family and friends here for 4 months to see what I have experienced. Holland is a beautiful place and from my experience has beautiful people on multiple levels...

There are many Dutch girls that are cute.
Personalities of so many people that I have met are genuine and that is beautiful.
Beautiful houses and windmills dot the blooming, spring countryside, and the countryside does not smell like shit. Literally speaking.

And for those I have come to know and love on this Dutch program, I plan to see these people again and to give them all hugs and to recall the beautiful memories and to laugh and cry and be content with how much God has taken care of us for these 4 months. I will dearly miss this place, these people, this culture, this way of life.

Homeward bound.

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones