Thursday, August 13, 2009

Thirsty for pure water.

The water that I drank while at school was the kind that people would joke about chewing instead of drinking. It was so full of minerals and other stuff that it tasted like everything but water...salty, chlorinated and filled with enough other stuff to boost the level my immune system was working at.



So now that I am back home the water that comes out of my hose tends to be more thirst quenching and pleasing than the water from school...never mind the deliciousness that comes from the tap or the fridge. But what was interesting to me was how anyone that grew up in the mid-west was so used to the "heavy water" that they liked it and thought that it was just the way water tasted. My point in all of this is to point out how my relationship with Christ and what I think is true for many Christ followers is the ignorance that they fully know what living water tastes like. Habitual sin, sin that we are addicted to, sin that is so deeply rooted in our lives it has become common and behavior that is unrepentant...these are the things that make the water heavy. So while we pledge allegiance to Jesus Christ and we have an idea of what living water tastes like, we do not fully understand what pure and holy and righteous, thirst quenching, delicious water really tastes like because of the habitually sin in our lives that is tainting the water. And like my mid-west friends assume, we assume that is what living water is like.

True living water leaves us to never thirst again. It gives us life!(duh) But it is not until we completely hand over our arrogance and pride to Christ that He may have complete control, do we become aware of how the water can be purified as Christ purifies our lives. That we can be made holy and righteous before God by His cleansing.

I am starting to taste purer water these days, and I am become more aware of the voice of the Holy Spirit. My spirit is being more noticeably concerned with the Holy Spirit is leading me to. It is that kind of light bulb moment that now I am aware, but along with this awareness comes the guilt of know what I have been ignorant to...my awareness has peaked at this realization of how wrong I have been to think I was on track, and to be cleansed is humbling to notice how detrimental the sin has been and yet thinking all the while that a severe problem did not even exist.

So how does your water taste?

No comments:


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones